Sunday, October 21, 2012

Nourishing Sweet Almond Oil Lotion

Here's another of my anti-dry-winter-skin experiments. :) I got the recipe from my sister-in-law and added some fun scents to make it my own.


You will need:

1/2 cup sweet almond oil, or else 1/4 cup sweet almond oil and 1/4 cup grape seed oil
(after I took the picture I decided to use half sweet almond oil and half grape seed oil, so that's why the grape seed oil isn't in the picture. Either way works well)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup beeswax (either grated or in pellets)
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
Essential oils or fragrance oils for scent (optional) 
She told me you can also add 2 tablespoons of a body butter (shea, coco, mango, etc.) if you'd like, but I didn't in this batch. Just another option. :)


Put the almond oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in a glass jar. If you're using a butter, add it at this time too. 


Fill a small saucepan halfway with water, bring to a boil, and set the jar into the water (like a double boiler). Boil and stir until all the beeswax has melted. 


Add vitamin E oil (I have 1000 i.u. tablets and it takes about 4 tablets to get a teaspoon of oil).


Add any essential oils or fragrance oils. I usually stick with essential oils to keep my products 100% natural, but this time I used a fragrance oil I got from Hobby Lobby along with my vanilla oil. It was a lovely combination!!!!


Let sit and harden. 


I stuck mine in the fridge to help it harder a little faster. 


Once it's set all the way thru, scoop it out of the jar and into a bowl or stand mixer. 


Whip on high with either an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer until light and creamy. 


Keep whipping until there are no hard little lumps left. 


Put into a small container and use as needed. :) A little goes a long way with this lotion. It's very different than the whipped body butter I posted before...it leaves you a little oily, but it absorbs quickly and is definitely more of a lotion than a body butter. I really like it...it feels so light and soft and makes my skin feel so hydrated and nourished...plus I LOVE the scent combination I used!! Give it a try. :)



4 comments:

  1. Hi! Love your site but I can't read it on my iPad because the background comes up grey. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've had the same problem on my iPad! Thanks for bringing it to my attention....I spent some time this morning redesigning and I *think* it should be readable on an iPad now. :) If it doesn't work let me know, and I'll tweak it a little more.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the information.

    Sweet almond oil, have a number of benefits hidden inside it. This oil is working as a substitute to any other aromatherapy oil. With the usage of this oil stress is relieved and it effectively works on the body both physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information.We can blend coconut, castor, rosemary, sweet almond and olive oil together for better results . Almond oil can do wonders to your skin, hair and general health.This nut is antioxidant rich, high in vitamin E, fat and protein content along with containing many essential nutrients. The daily usage of this wonderful home ingredient can treat many ailments and treats various beauty and hair issues.

    ReplyDelete